Edge Evo thread(Settings)

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by backwoodscountryman, Dec 6, 2010.

1. backwoodscountryman

backwoodscountryman Broken Truck Edition

OK so allot of us on here have an Edge Evo for our 4.6/5.4 F-150's. There may be ppl on here(including myself)that are new to the tuner world and may not know why is it better to change shift points,standard shifting,torque locker converter and so on and what is has to to with the Edge and our trucks in extracting the most gains from our Evo's.

Allot of also have the same set ups on trucks as other members(example,35's,leveling kit,gots mod/CAI and duel exhaust)Maybe allot of this stuff plays into effect with our Evo and some of of may not know to account for all this.

So my hopes in creating this thread are to get the more experience guys with Edge Evo's to share there knowledge and what they have found works for them and there set ups and share it with us.The guys who may not know much and why shift,torque converter lock matters

So please share your set ups,(tires,leveling kit,lifts kits,gots mod/CAI,dual exhaust and so on)N let us other member who might have the same set up as you in what settings you are running with your Evo.

Hoping this catches on

2. 281Screw

281Screw Full Access Member

Mods in sig

Edge Lvl 3 91 4.6L f150

tires: 2613
    Gears: 3.55
    WOT: 1.80
    Timing Advance: 1.50
    Shift firmness: 1-2=12 2-3=9 3-4-0
    TC setting 3rd -4 4th -8 other unchanged
    standard shift point unchanged

3. LightDuty

LightDuty Full Access Member

I have a 2001 F150 5.4 with 131,900 miles and I was curious if it was a bad idea to get an Edge Evo for my truck?

4. agjake11

agjake11 Suck my tailpipe

my evo is actually a gryphon tuned by php set for 89 octane and my 4.56 among other things.

what do yall have displayed on the screen?

i have battery voltage engine load and then then avmpg and instant mpg

5. 281Screw

Coolant Temp
    Tranny Temp which stays A LOT cooler with my HD Trans cooler upgrade :)
    AVMPG
    and the other right now is throttle % but that one get changed a lot

6. backwoodscountryman

Is it because ya don't know everything about your trucks transmission and how the Evo works with it?Or just because?lol

Ya hopefully it catches on.I'm sure there are other members like me on this forum and knowing a whole lot about the tranny and the evo working together in settings

I agree 100%. I just got my Evo about a week ago and I have been running it on level 2 but the only thing I have changed is the tire size.

Why only the tire size because I don't know about anything else. It's not because I don't want to learn but the owners manuel does not explain anything in detail and I have not seen any good information when it comes to the settings. I have done plenty of searches also. The other thing that interests me is the alarm capability of the Evo but once again I don't know how to use it so I haven't touched it. When it comes to the alarm settings I would think you need to know what is a normal temp. and what it should be set at to let you know it is too high etc....

7. agjake11

agjake11 Suck my tailpipe

wish tranny temp was available on the 97-03's

8. 281Screw

04-08 F150
    Normal Trans temp under normal operation should be between 150-170*
    Normal Engine Coolant Temp should be around 189-200* but runs best when between 205-210*

9. 281Screw

You are a Manual right?

Sorry I wont clutter up your thread anymore just saw your other one
    I think we were suppose to wait

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  10. backwoodscountryman

Most handheld tuners iv run into dont posses enough setting adjustment for you to mess anything, to bad. There is such a liability risk that they really water those things down. Thats why internet ordered tunes are never all they could be also.

As long as you dont mess with the fuel settings(unless using a WIDEBAND o2 sensor, not the narrowband POS lightshows) you will be fine.

Adjusting timing is brutally simple, and more times than not is just time consuming. Timing adjustments are where you get the majority of your power gains. You can sneak out some power with the fuel settings, but more times than not fuel is used as your safety factor.

If you want some more power, start increasing your timing. You will know when you add to much when you hear something that sounds like marbles rolling around into each other in your motor. That is called ping. When you hear that sound, back the timing down .5*-1* and you will be set.

I encourage you all to read this book:
    Greg Banish, Engine Managment
    Greg Banish, Engine Managment This is an excellent quick read on what exactly "tuning" in tales. Its really not as difficult as the dyno tuner makes it sound.

If you have some questions on anything, give me a holler. I will help to the best of my abilities.