How To: Chrome billet grill (04-08) Install

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by BLACKOUT 05, Aug 7, 2011.

1. BLACKOUT 05

BLACKOUT 05 Full Access Member

This is for people who have an Hbar or honeycomb grill and only have the new main grill piece(no shell). It'll let you use the original grill shell and combine it with the new billet grill.

I looked around on a few different sites for a how-to but didnt find anything. I bought a grill this morning and didnt realize it was only the metal billet grill and no mounting shell or anything. I figured out how to make it work without having a new surround and shell. I just winged this one, and did what I thought made sense. It turned out well and was a day well spent.

Tools: needle nose pliers, flat head screwdriver, dremel/sawsall or hand saw, 10mm socket + extension, drill bit/hand drill, sand paper (i used a mouse sander).

This is all I had to start (and the lower piece)

[​IMG]

1. Remove the grill - (4- 10mm bolts on underside of hood, 6 10mm nuts on the backside of the grill at the top.

[​IMG]

2. Separate the grill surround from the main H-Bar or honey comb grill. Try not to break the tabs because you are going to re-use that mounting shell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. cut the middle of the main grill section around the very last edge. This picture was just before I took the remaining 1/2" off with a saws-all.

[​IMG]

4. sand down the cuts leaving only the inside wall of the original grill. Make sure you sand down the edges so that the top edge is flush with the side of the wall. Mine was rough so I used a wood peeler to bring the plastic down to the right level.

[​IMG]

5. Snap the main grill shell to the front grill surround.

6. Take the new chrome billet grill, and put on the 2 top hanger bolts. Mock up the front of the grill so it is flush with the surround. Drill holes in the mounting shell for the new chrome grill to bolt in. I used 2 small screws and 2 bolts to hold it tight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Remove the top 2 hangers and install the full grill assembly back on the truck. This part is pretty tough because you need to put the 2 top-middle hangers BEHIND the hood lip. I jammed a basketball between the hood and the winshield fluid box to keep the hood from flying up by the hydraulics.

8. Tighten the 4- 10mm bolts back to the hood, and install the six 10mm nuts to the top of the grill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck with it, and I take no responsibility if you **** anything up.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. TxFx04

TxFx04 FFS Frequent Traveler

looks good! you should throw some lights behind the grille

3. jlyoung08

jlyoung08 gumby

dang i didnt realize how much there was to one of those haha good job man!

4. TwentyTenFX4

TwentyTenFX4 Officially has DES

Truck looks awesome man. And great write up!