How to paint your fender flares on a budget!!

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by Nitewolf, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Nitewolf

Nitewolf The Big Bad Wolf

Hey guys, I painted my flares on my truck (2002 F-150 Screw) and after a while of searching I never really found a thread on it. So here is a "How-to" on painting your flares cheap and easy. I didn't paint my fenders on the truck cause I hate overspray if the tape isn't perfect. If you want to paint them on the truck, tape will be needed lol!

Items needed:

1) Wash your flares with a degreaser
    2) 2 Cans of *Color of choice* Krylon Fusion for Plastic (I used Satin Black)
    3) 3M 320 grit sandpaper
    4) Windex
    5) Roll of paper towels
    6) Terry Cloth

Step 1: Take the flares off the truck by unscrewing the 4 panel screws and gently popping out the retainers. *Note - some retainers (depending on how old they are) may break in removal, from what i've seen they are dealer only items at $2.50/piece but you can buy some that will work at your local autoparts store, just be creative.

[​IMG]

Step 2: Lay out your flares to wash the backside and rid them of all dirt. Even though you don't see it, it's always nice to have a clean inside to prevent rust and anything else.

Step 3: Take your 320 grit sandpaper and gently scuff up the surface and edges of your flares. Be careful to not cause deep scratches or an uneven surface. Make sure all chips and gouges are smoothed out for a better finished look.

Step 4: Wash the flares by spraying with windex and wiping clean with a paper towel making absolute sure that all sanding residue is removed.

Step 5: Take your terry cloth and wipe down everything ensuring absolute dryness and cleanliness.

Step 6: Take your can of Krylon Fusion for Plastics and evenly paint each fender with a light coat. After the last fender is painted, go back over them one more time and let dry for about 2 hours depending on weather.

[​IMG]

Step 7: Look over your flares and make sure all spots are covered and your desired color is accomplished. If not repeat step 6 until satisfied.

Step 8: After dry time is accomplished and you can handle your flares, get ready to put them back on the truck. *Note - I would clean the spot where the flares mounted to, for a clean, easy installation.

Step 9: Make sure all retainers are accounted for and installed on the flares. Leaving them on the truck will make this a much harder install. Start off by "popping" the lower retainers first and make your way up to the center. After all retainers are in, install the screws and your golden pony boy!

Step 10: Take pictures using your camera of choice (I used my Droid) and upload to www.FordFullSize.com for other users to see.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. tater

tater I WANT IT ALL

nice write up man:waytogo:

3. yz85rider2002

yz85rider2002 Lowered Life

good write up bro

4. westtnfx4

westtnfx4 The Alpha Administrator

Looks great....I've been bum canning stuff for 25 yrs....and it comes out great with the right prep:waytogo: I also moved this to the tech area..Thanks for the write up :cheers:

5. Nitewolf

Nitewolf The Big Bad Wolf

Thanks, there is another one you could move here too lol sorry..PS im about to post my for sale one so if you could move that also haha Thanks West

6. westtnfx4

westtnfx4 The Alpha Administrator

:cheers: no prob dood....