How-To Replace 04-08 window motor/regulator

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by TxFx04, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Predatory Instincts

Predatory Instincts Bizkit Grabber

Well, that was all easy enough to pull all of that contraption of a track out. Get the new lift in, go to plug the motor back in.... the replacement has a different plug... FML! It's a Dorman replacement unit. Most everything about it is heavier built but the motor is different, even in the mounting flange that mounts to the gear set. Don't suppose replacing just that motor will ever happen if that part of it goes out.

Guess I'll have to cut my factory wiring and the motor wiring on the new one and splice the damn thing in. :cuss2:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. TxFx04

TxFx04 FFS Frequent Traveler

How come everytime a window motor fails its always a friend that rolls down the window :jester:

3. Predatory Instincts

What gripes my ass is that a stupid 10 cent piece of plastic costs you $125 when it breaks.

BTW... I disconnected the wrong harness plug so the one on the Dorman unit does match up. On the factory assemblies, there is a plug right at the motor and another about 10-12 inches down the wiring harness. I had unplugged the harness at the motor.

I don't roll my windows up and down that much so I was surprised when it broke... until I got a good look at how that thing is designed. What a joke. One of the plastic pieces broke where it holds one of the cable ends.

4. TxFx04

TxFx04 FFS Frequent Traveler

thank ford for that one :facepalm: luckily i've only had that one break and i'm always rolling my windows up and down

5. DestinationFX4

DestinationFX4 Admanistrator

ive had two in the last year so far...and one of them was the rear drivers window which ive rolled down maybe 5 times since owning the truck lol

6. Predatory Instincts

I've owned a lot of vehicles with power windows and never had a problem with any of them until this one. Some of them were a heck of a lot older than this truck, too.

7. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

nice dylan