How to swap out Blower Motor Resistor

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by VanoFord, Oct 20, 2011.

1. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    Here is a quick write up for those that might need to change this out. I got it from Rockauto.com for $22, and thats for a Motorcraft part! :peace:

First remove the glovebox. There are 2-#7 screws on the bottom that keep it from falling out when open. Remove these 2 and then open and remove (sorry, no pics).

Next, and this is optional, but I decided to remove the panel above the glovebox to allow me to see easier (didnt like layin on my back on the floor). There are 2-#7 screws again on the bottom, but there are also 2-#7 screws on the interior, along the edge almost dead even w/ the center of the vents on each side of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Remove all 4 then remove panel. I opted not to reinstall the interior screws for easier removal in the future.

Next, locate the blower motor resistor on the BM assembly.
    [​IMG]

Remove the 2-#8 screws.
    [​IMG]

Remove the harness from the bm resistor and plug new bm resistor in (there is a tab that you depress to remove the harness).
    [​IMG]

Repeat these steps in reverse for install. The bm resistor has 1 corner cut at a 45^. this goes in the upper left corner when reinstalling. Thanks Cowboy for diagnosing the problem :waytogo:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  2. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Nice write-up. Did this have anything to do with your a/c mod?

3. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    you referring to the lariat cluster swap? i had actually thought that the decrease in airflow was due to me not having that Flash for the Lariat cluster to recognize my inferior non climate control HVAC system. after having a puddle of water/tons of condensation on my blower motor assembly, Nick pointed out the resistor is the cause for that. my clutch still doesnt engage w/ the lariat cluster, so I think the flash is still needed for that, but i aint ran the AC in 3wks and prolly wont until march hahaha.

4. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Gotcha. yeah, I haven't gotten my reflash done yet either, Probably will in the spring though, I was missing it a couple times this summer.

5. f3cbboy

f3cbboy Junior Member

Hi I am new to this forum, and for some reason i can not see the pics. I think this relates to a current issue i am having. first 3 speed of fan did not work, 4th speed was only speed i had. Now my insturment cluster does not work and the truck wont start. I saw the reference to a cluster swap, how are these related and is this very difficult to fix?

6. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

Vano must have moved or deleted the pics.

7. f3cbboy

f3cbboy Junior Member

Thanks Joe - maybe i'll contact him with a PM and ask for the pics.

also, there is another thread in this forum named WIRING SCHEMATICS where you post a link through google docs that has wiring diag for 05 f-150. the link isn't working any longer ( yoou posted it back in march of 2011), i know i am new to this forum, but do you have a current link? i would really appreciate it. thanks bruce

8. Roush PSD Interceptor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  9. f3cbboy

f3cbboy Junior Member

Just received the resistor from rockauto.com about 10 mins ago and replaced the blown one in the truck with the new one and its working great. Thanks

10. Roush PSD Interceptor

Awesome
    :doublepeace: