no bottom end power?

Discussion in 'F-250 and F-350 General Tech and Info' started by deth502, Aug 19, 2024.

1. deth502

deth502 Junior Member

new guy. prepare for a long post. this is one of our work trucks and im at my wits end with this thing.

vehicle is a 2008 f350 dump truck. 5.4l v8

truck had NO power. had to rev it up and n-drop it to go a few feet a a time to get it back to the shop.

so heres my journey so far, and i may leave something out, because there a lot to unpack here.

it started with a hyd cam adjuster code, both sides. i checked the oil and there was 1.5 qts in there. i did an oil change, hoping that when they got oil in them again all would be well. didnt happen. cleared the codes 3x an the same codes kept coming back. so i changed both vvt solenoids. didnt help.

no more engine light or codes, but stil no power. checked the air cleaner, clean. checked the fuel pressure. constant 30psi. so i change the fuel pump driver. pressure started fluctuating but only slightly. bypassed the fpdr and hot wired the pump, 75 psi to the rail. STILL NO CODES.

checked a plug, gap was in excess of 1/4" so i changed the plugs. royal pita. ONE came out whole. anyway, after this it was drivable-meaning that it could actually move under its own power, but still had no power to it.

checked the vacuum, was not low or fluctuating, so by this i ruled out a logged cat/exhaust.

tried to unplug cop's to check for a bad cyl, but this was inconclusive as only 3 cyl actually induced a miss, and im sure its running on more than 3 cylinders.

fuel pressure was still only hitting 40 psi when you stab the throttle, so i changed the pressure regulator and filter. i also removed the air cleaner to eliminate that. i forgot to mention i cleaned the maf and throttle body in there somewhere. now were getting 60ish psi when you punch the throttle and back down to 30 at constant speed, so i ruling out fuel pressure at this point.

anyway, now it seems to have some mid end, but still no low end power, still feels "missy" and still no check engine light or codes.

i can feel each injector clicking, so i know they are operating. im making the assumption that id get a code if it were a cop coil. that ives me fuel, air, and spark, but its still not fixed. this is really trying my patience.

so, experts, WHAT AM I MISING???