Ok..Got A Issue

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by The Batman, Apr 12, 2011.

1. The Batman

The Batman Rest In Piece

i just replaced the ingnition switch...not the key..but the switch on the column...it will let all the lights and stuff come on but when depressed to the start position it draws the juice but doesnt start...but it still starts off the cyliniod...so..what could that be and which wire is it that controls that?:hmm:

2. westtnfx4

westtnfx4 The Alpha Administrator

What happened to the ole trick switch you had? :jester:

3. The Batman

The Batman Rest In Piece

thats what i replaced...it went out on larry yesterday and he had to start it off the cyliniod...so i went to get a new switch and it still didnt fix it...so now i am looking for whatever else it might be....pain in the ass....

4. westtnfx4

Do you have to depress the clutch for it to start or has that been bypassed?

5. The Batman

The Batman Rest In Piece

no...the only thing that has been bypassed is the key switch....and the only thing between the switch and the cyliniod is the main ignition module...and its like $50!!!...so i'm hoping it aint that

6. westtnfx4

Did you check the starter relay by the battery? If its good Im Leaning towards a bad solenoid.

7. The Batman

The Batman Rest In Piece

no..i havent checked that yet......but i know the cyliniod is good cuase i can still start it off of it.....what about the ignition module?..think it might be that?

8. The Batman

The Batman Rest In Piece

i'm gonna go check that...brb

9. westtnfx4

Also the problem may be a bad ign switch actuator. The key switch turns a gear cog that meshes with the actuator and the gears can wear.
    There is a rod that runs down the column from the actuator to the ign switch under the dash. See if you can feel if that rod moves "in time" with turning the key. If not then you will need to replace the actuator.

10. The Batman

The Batman Rest In Piece

thats what i bypassed....and i checked the relay from the battery to the cyliniod...it dont have one...its just a hot cable to the cylinoid...then from the cyliniod to the starter...along with the other various wires of course...and i think the problem may be the actual switch wiring harness...it has a crinkled mildly melty looking spot...i think it may have gotten hot at some point and it melted the plastic enough to screw it up...so i'm thinking go the junk yard and cut one out of another f150 of the same year and rewire it in and see what that does