Partial tranny flush(Good or bad?)

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by backwoodscountryman, Mar 29, 2011.

1. backwoodscountryman

backwoodscountryman Broken Truck Edition

OK so it's $190.00 for a full tranny flush and fill.Allot of money.I have heard about doing it yourself,but only getting 4-5 quarts out if you drop the tranny tank yourself.

Question is.Will this be good enough?Then just fill it back myself?Is it bad to mix the new 4-5 quarts of tranny fluid with the old tranny fluid?Also anything else you care to tell me would be great guys?Thanks guys.Looking to do this in the next 2 weeks.

2. FLfirefighter

FLfirefighter STORMTROOPER EDTION

Do you have a transmisson cooler on your truck? this is the way I have done on my truck and everything worked fine, Undo one line and place into a 5 gallon bucket (have on hand about 2 cases of trans. fluid), start truck and it will start to flow into the bucket take new fluid and pour into tranny repeat untill you see the new fluid flowing out. I was told this by a Ford mech. buddy of mine.

3. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    :hmm: give this a try Backwoods as I need to flush mine as well... let me know if you still have your gears :ROFLJest:

4. FLfirefighter

Vano it works fine it is the way i have done all my vehicles, and mind you got 311,000 miles on my truck before the motor gave out.

5. backwoodscountryman

Yes i do have a tranny cooler.Sweet.I will def have to try it.lol.That will save me allot of money and i will be able to run what tranny fluid i want to.Thanks man

6. Predatory Instincts

Predatory Instincts Bizkit Grabber

You should always go for the full flush regardless of your sexual orientation.

7. FLfirefighter

You also have to top it off when your done but I am sure you already knew that. LOL

8. backwoodscountryman

Nice.lol.

FL-Oh ya i knew that.lol.Again thanks for telling me this method.Will def save me allot of money.

9. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    Nice to know. I too have the trans cooler (small radiator in bumper air dam?) which was surprising on the 4.6L 2wd model. I'll have to do this next weekend. I used to flush every 25k, but ran this last one 45k or so. havent been wanting to drop $200 for the flush just yet. thanks! First person to do it should make a How-To... remember, this is a Tech forum and we need more Tech items. :waytogo:

10. backwoodscountryman

Well whats a good brand of tranny fluid that wont brake my piggy bank?lol.I Heard there are better brands than our motorcraft fluid.So give me some brands and i will go check out the prices.Then i will see what i have going on the rest of this week and i will get around to how to if i have time.