Worse milage with Evo CS

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by 01Screw, Feb 8, 2011.

1. 01Screw

01Screw Full Access Member

Although I am on my first tank the mileage is horrible. I filled up with 91 before I even bought it then topped it off with 91 again once it was installed. I am running the level 3 performance tune, also i have the realtime mileage calculator on display so I can keep my foot out of it to get the best mpg. The only thing non stock to my truck is the gotts mod and silencer removal. I normally get around 200 miles by half tank, right now i am almost to half tank and am reading about 116 miles. WTH is happening? I have checked my tripometer with the mile markers on the highway and the counter is correct. the only setting I can find in the programmer is for tire size which i have changed for my 17" facory wheels and tire size from the standard 16".
    The only thing I can think of is the gotts mod is causing the truck to run lean under the new tune and the computer is dumping more fuel to compensate. I have no codes and can't smell gas in my exhaust. Any ideas ???

2. Nitewolf

Nitewolf The Big Bad Wolf

Level 3 is 93 octane bud. level 2 is 87 octane.. gotta pick one cant go in the middle with your gas or you will run either rich or lean

3. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome

the only time you need to adjust the tire setting in the programmer is if your overall diameter has increased. you can swap out different rims/tires all day, but if you go from a 16" rim/31" tire to a 20" rim/31" tire, you still have the same wheel distance and there fore don't need any adjusting.

Level 1 is for 87 octane.
    Level 2 is for 89 octane
    level 3 is for 93 octane. if you don't have 93 available, get you some "octane boost" that you poor into the tank prior filling up.

4. agjake11

agjake11 Suck my tailpipe

send your CS to php with 60 bucks and get a custom tune written for 91 if you want.

on my 89 performance custom tune i just got 19mpg on my trip this weekend :waytogo:

5. 01Screw

Thanks guys. :waytogo: I just went out and reprogrammed it to lvl2 towing. Not sure who sells 93 in my area so this will give me plenty of time to scout around. I entered in the custom part and put my shift firmness to 9 for all shifts. It seems there is quite a bit I need to learn about that little thing. Time to start reading!

6. Nitewolf

Nitewolf The Big Bad Wolf

Tranny Only, 87 Tow, 93 Performance

That is taken from the website, the edge evo level 2 is 89 octane but the cs uses 87

7. 01Screw

A little update, after I switched the tune to level 2 Towing and firmed up the shifts, driving home from work I noticed that I had to do 70mph to keep up with traffic. I started checking my tripometer with the mile markers on the highway again. The speedo and odometer were off. When I got home I went through the custom options on the tune again and found that the gear ratio was set to 3.22 instead of the 3.55's that i have. I went to the pump to fill up again and found the original gas i put in was 93 octane. I refilled, same station as before and payed more attention this time. Gas milage not as bad as I was expecting (11.2), I was expecting under 10. Sooooo, I now have the performance tune (lvl 3) programmed back in with Tire od @ 31.6" and gear ratio @ 3.55 and the shift firmness @ 10 for all, and timing advance @
    +.50 . We will see where this takes me but I think I'm heading the right direction.

Just as an FYI - when I reprogrammed in the lvl 3 tune the screen warning read 91 or higher octane not 93 like the website claims.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011